Saturday, August 28, 2010

Altered T-Shirt


A couple months ago, I saw this post on Kimberly Kesti's blog and since then, I have been scouring the clearance section of every store I go into for cheap t-shirts that I can spruce up.

Well, I hit the jackpot at Target about a week ago when I found these purple t-shirts on clearance for $2! Here's what you do...buy 2 of them - it doesn't matter if they don't have 2 in your size, because you are just going to cut the second one up anyway. In my case, I bought a small to embellish and a large to cut apart.

I made my flowers a little differently than Kim did. I cut out 5 inch circles and then spiral cut them like this. (They don't have to be perfect!)

Then, I stitched the inside edge of the spiral to gather the material.

Once it was all stitched, I wound it into a flower and stitched it together at the bottom.

I made all 5 flowers and then I stitched them onto the other t-shirt. Easy peasy and I have a cute t-shirt in an hour for $4! After trying it on, I'm actually thinking that I will add a couple more flowers to it - I think they need to go all the way up to the shoulder, but for now...here's the finished shirt.

Sorry the colors are so wacky in these pictures, I was working on this late last night.

Hope you are having a great Saturday!
~Anika

12 comments:

Lee Anne said...

Wow! So cool! You have so many talents! Has school started yet?

Keith and Kim Kesti said...

Fabuloso! I actually like your flowers better. Mine turned out a little "thick" once I washed it a few times. Great job, girl!

Diane Jaquay said...

Your flowers look fabulous on that T-shirt! Beautiful work!

Katie said...

You thrifty girl you! It looks amazing! Have fun with it!

Amy Kolling said...

I want a shirt like this!! I have been on the look out for a "flower" shirt. I found one I LOVED at Kohls but it was a teesy bit to small and no other sizes. I'm going to be on the lookout for something like this to do! Your shirt turned out fabulous!

Tammy Schmitt said...

So creative! Thanks for sharing:-)

Laurie said...

Thank you for the tutorial! I saw this recently, bought 2 t's to make one for my daughter and then lost the link! Your flowers came out amazing!! TFS!

Heidi said...

That is an awesome shirt Anika!!! Nice work!

Jen Carter said...

This is so cute!! Love it!

Ann said...

Excellent Anika - those roses look fab!

B said...

Oh how cool!!! :) What a fab shirt!

Laura.K said...

Wow. I love those flowers. I must make some. Thanks for sharing.