Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Classroom Transformation: Part 1

**There aren't going to be any "After" pictures in this post.  You'll have to check back soon for those!**

After teaching Kindergarten for 4 years, I transferred to a preschool position in our district last year.  That meant I had to pack all my things up from a classroom that I had spent countless hours putting together and making my own and move it to a different school and start all over.

The school I was moving to happened to be the same elementary school I attended from Kindergarten through 6th grade!  My new classroom is the room I went to 5th grade in.

There were a few things in the room when we got there - a teacher desk, 4 tables, chairs, a book shelf... - just the basics.  During my years teaching Kindergarten, I "hired" my dad to make many things for my room and after we hauled them all into my new room, it was quite a mess!  So, in order for you to appreciate the After pictures, I need to share the Before pictures with you.

The view from the door 
The plan:  Cover the blocks of color above the windows so it doesn't look so dated, get rid of the computer cart (I put my computer on my desk), remove the strange piece of cork board from right corner (Andrew is already working on that in this picture!)


The back wall
The plan: Cover the blackboard so it can be used as a bulletin board

The door wall 
The plan: Cover the blackboard so it can be used as a bulletin board

The front wall
The plan: Remove the board going from the high shelving to the bulletin board, run the projector wiring in a neater manner (isn't that a hot mess!!)

At this stage, I was also working out a floor plan.  It always takes me a little trial and error to get it just right.

BUT, my Top Priority was to PAINT THE WALLS!!!  The grungy cream color was not doing anything for me!  I decided to warm it up with a couple cans of Sherwin Williams Outerbanks, which happens to be the color our kitchen and living room are painted and the color I had painted my previous classroom.

I almost have my room put back together for this year.  (Open House is on Wednesday!)  So check back soon to see what became of this mess!  I'm super excited about how it's evolved and can't wait to share it with you!

~Anika

3 comments:

Donna C. said...

My goodness. I SWEAR that is identical to my old classroom in Milton-Freewater, OR down to the details. Must have been the same school building plan. Honestly it is identical. I looked through the pictures over and over!

Jennifer K said...

You have your work cut out for you!

If Love Was Water, I'd Give You The Sea said...

Your kids (and parents) are so lucky to have you! The passion and love you have for them is so evident! I can't wait to see your after pictures, no doubt it will be a calm and learning friendly environment for your kids!